it's been a thorn in my side all day... i have lost my faith in the daily newspaper we've all come to know and love, METRO... two huge mistakes in one week has caused me to hold it in no longer... i wrote my first letter to the editor tonight:
Dear Metro,
As a fourth year journalism student at Carleton University, I like to keep tabs on the headlines and have become a regular Metro reader. Unfortunately, over the past few weeks I have been very disappointed in some of the news coverage. A friend of mine was involved in the fire on York St. in Ottawa's ByWard Market last week and was questioned at the scene. When he hesitated to give his name to Metro, the reporter told him he could "make one up" if he preferred. Furthermore, he was not properly quoted once the story did go to print.
Today on the cover of your Ottawa edition, Donna Lockyer was pictured clutching a picture of her son Cory. However, the caption (on the cover no less) cited her son's name to be David, even though his name is spelt out in bold lettering in the image. I used to work with Cory and his death was very devastating. I find it insulting that your paper ran such a mistake.
As a journalist, I find it to be a travesty of the profession that such mistakes and wrongdoings are occurring. No source should ever be told they can make up a name and no name should ever be carelessly misspelled, especially on the cover. Kenneth Jackson's disregard for the facts has caused me to question both his stories in the paper, as well as why he deserves a position that many of us in the journalism program would love to fill.
Tara McCarthy
Ottawa, Ontario
